Site Navigation

Sarasota Family Law Blog

Determining your property is important to your divorce settlement

Before a divorce, you have to determine who owns what property. When you were married, you may not have thought much about who owned what, because everything was shared. Now, it's time to divide those assets, so you can focus on moving on with your life.

Equitable distribution states do not necessarily divide your assets equally, so that means that you'll want to write down all your assets and show why you deserve the portion that you believe you should have. For example, if you've always been the sole breadwinner, you may believe that you need more of your assets because you paid for them. Likewise, if you were a stay-at-home parent, you might argue that you deserve more because you gave up your work to stay at home with your children.

Can multiple states make custody decisions?

You always wanted your child to see both parents. When you decided to have a little one, you didn't plan to get a divorce. Now that you have, you know that things will never be the same. You're living your own lives separately from one another, but you want your child to get as much time with his or her other parent as possible.

If you and your ex-spouse live in different states, it can be hard to manage child custody arrangements. How do you know what to do if your ex wants to make changes to your child custody agreement? What do you do about visitation?

How to enforce and collect child support in Florida

If you are divorced and on the receiving end of child support, you expect regular payments. Unfortunately, the funds do not always come your way. Dealing with your ex who is failing to pay child support can be frustrating. What can you do? Are there consequences for deadbeat parents who are not adhering to a child support order?

According to Florida child support laws, there are several options to enforce and collect child support. The non-paying parent may even face jail time. Understanding the details of these rules can help you decide how to best handle your situation.

These jobs make divorce more likely across the United States

Divorces are common across America, but there are a few jobs that make it more likely than others. If you knew that your job would make it more likely to get a divorce, would you keep it? You might if you love it, even though it could ruin your love life.

What kinds of jobs hurt your relationships the most? It seems to be those that put a distance between partners or that create uncertainty in the relationship. For example, bartenders are more likely to get a divorce, and bartenders may have a fluctuating income that impacts a marriage. Flight attendants have a divorce rate of over 50 percent, and they are often at work, flying hundreds or thousands of miles away from their homes and families. Those in production jobs also have divorce rates over 50 percent.

Here's what you need to adopt in Florida

You want to add one more child to your family. You've been planning an adoption for some time and want to do it right. You know there are laws in place that dictate how you can adopt and when, and you need more information. Here are a few things to think about.

If you're planning to adopt, you need to understand the adoption laws in Florida. Whether you plan to adopt within the state or internationally, these adoption laws may apply to your case.

Child custody matters and your case: Get the final say

Child custody laws don't typically vary much between states. That's because most states comply with the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act. This act has various laws that state how child custody decisions have to be made and about whether or not visitation rights should be granted to a parent. Additionally, the act discusses how joint custody works if parents agree to it.

Florida adopted this act in 1977. It does allow parents to agree to joint custody as an option, allowing both parents equitable time with their children. Florida is one of the states that does recognize the rights of grandparents and their potential right to visitation with their grandchild or grandchildren.

Woman suffers attack after saying she wants to get a divorce

When you're going through a divorce, your safety is important. If you decide to get a divorce and fear your spouse may abuse you or become violent, you do have options, like seeking a protective order. That's something you'll want to talk to your attorney about as soon as possible, and even before you decide to let your spouse know you want a divorce, depending on your situation.

For some people, arguments during divorce become heated. That shouldn't lead to abuse or violence, but it has in this case involving a man in Florida. According to the story, the man allegedly stabbed his wife when she told him she wanted to get a divorce, leaving her with injuries that required hospitalization.

How to find hidden assets in a divorce

Divorce is still a prevalent aspect of American society. In fact, over 800,000 divorces took place in the United States in 2014, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

If a person suspects his or her spouse is hiding something prior to a divorce, then he or she can take steps to discover those assets. Although all items should be considered shared assets, some people are not as forthcoming. Take action to locate missing assets.

Do you need an attorney for an uncontested divorce?

You and your spouse always agreed that if you divorced, you wouldn't be horrible to one another. You've both kept your word and are separating peacefully. You know you can get an attorney, but it doesn't seem necessary.

Should you still work with an attorney? What kind of divorce do you need, and does it require working with a legal professional? Here are a few things to know.

Unwed fathers can pursue custody and visitation

You love your child, but you believe that because you're male, you'll have a harder time getting the custody rights you want. Fortunately, the courts are not supposed to be biased, so there should be no obvious preference for the mother. As a father to your child, you have every right to pursue custody and visitation rights.

Even though you never got married, you do still have a right to seek out custody. There are a few extra steps you need to pursue to make sure you are given the best chance to obtain custody or visitation rights.

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed FindLaw Network