Site Navigation

child custody Archives

What do you do if your child's harmed with the other parent?

You always thought that your ex-spouse was a good parent, and you never expected to see your child get hurt by them. However, your relationship was toxic, and you knew you couldn't stay married. Despite that, you've worked hard to make sure your child has their other parent in their life.

Good parenting plans put your children first

Child custody isn't always easy to determine when you are two parents both equally interested in having physical custody of your children. Even if both of you are on relatively good terms, there is a risk that the child custody and parenting plans you need to come up with could threaten the balance during your divorce.

What should you do if your ex sabotages your parenting plan?

One problem that sometimes comes between divorced parents who have children is that one parent feels that the other is not being fair. They may feel the other parent is trying to sabotage the parenting plan in some way, too.

Parenting well means getting on the same page after divorce

Joint custody is often what judges want to see in a child custody arrangement. Unless there is a situation where abuse is possible, it's typically in the best interests of children to see both of their parents following the end of a marriage.

What happens when you divorce with children?

Any time two people divorce but have children, the children have to come first. In a divorce, nothing is as important as determining child custody. It's necessary to decide where the child or children will live, who will take care of the child and when and how to support the child in those circumstances.

Serving a spouse for divorce isn't always easy

Divorces aren't always easy. There is a step during which the other party has to be served with the divorce documents. If you're still in touch, that's not very difficult. However, if you were in an abusive relationship or no longer know where your spouse is, it's nearly impossible to serve the documents.

Avoid these mistakes with your kids during divorce

Divorced parents could make many mistakes when raising their children, but it's important to do what you can to prevent some of the most significant. For example, if you have older children, you may feel you can lean on them during your divorce. The reality is that doing so could hurt your children and is a bad idea. You don't ever want to suggest taking sides or making a child feel he or she is burdened with taking care of your or your spouse.

Relocation: You have rights if you want to relocate

When a parent needs to relocate but has a child with his or her ex-spouse, it can make it hard to do so without changing custody arrangements. That doesn't always go well, depending on the concerns of the other parent. No parent has a right to take a child to a new home or location without consent, unless there is a release from the court.

Determining custody: Understanding Florida law

Child custody arrangements are an important step to complete for the safety and health of your child after divorce. You want to dictate who has your child when and be able to describe your time sharing and responsibilities clearly. Doing this now makes it easier if you need to dispute a problem in the future.

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Subscribe to This Blog's Feed FindLaw Network