We know the legal terrain

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. family law
  4.  » How to resolve conflicts with your child’s other parent

How to resolve conflicts with your child’s other parent

On Behalf of | Sep 8, 2020 | family law

If you have children with your former spouse, you will need to work with that person to raise them. However, there is a chance that your child’s other parent will take actions that seek to rattle you or openly defy the child custody or visitation order handed down by a Florida judge.

Try to determine why he or she is acting this way

In some cases, your former spouse may be acting out because of stress or anxiety related to other events in that individual’s life. It is also possible that a new romantic partner is pushing your child’s other parent to do things that seem out of character. Trying to learn more about your former partner’s recent behavior may help you find a way to adequately deal with it.

Limit the amount of time spent talking to this person

It is important to remain concise and professional when communicating with your former spouse. This is because anything put in writing could be used against you in court at some point in the future. It can also be a good idea to have a designated time each day to respond to any messages that your child’s other parent may send. An exception can be made for emergency situations or in the event that failing to respond to a message in a timely manner might violate a court order.

Ideally, the parenting plan that you created with your spouse will dictate what happens if a dispute arises. Generally speaking, parenting plans cover most issues that may arise such as whether overnight visits are permitted or when you can introduce a new partner to your children. An attorney may be able to help you resolve a conflict with your child’s other parent in a timely and amicable fashion.