We know the legal terrain

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. divorce
  4.  » Modifying the divorce decree: What to expect

Modifying the divorce decree: What to expect

by | May 24, 2018 | divorce

Usually, what happens when you settle a divorce is final once you receive your divorce decree. However, there are times when people look back and want to make amendments to divorce documents for good reason. Maybe you need to adjust for your children or you’ve found out that your ex-spouse hid assets during the divorce.

The good news is that if you and your ex-spouse agree on the changes that need to be made, most judges will approve them so long as the court agrees with the request. You’ll have to draw up a new agreement with the help of your attorneys and then submit it to the court.

What happens if you don’t agree on modifications following a divorce?

If you don’t agree with the request, then you’re going to have a fight on your hands in most cases. You’ll need to take your case to the court and support your argument that you wish to have a part of your divorce decree modified. For example, if your child is older and now has more expenses, you may wish to ask for more support. Provide documents to show why it’s necessary to obtain more child support, and the court will decide if it’s necessary.

You should also be ready to demonstrate a change in circumstances, if one occurred, that is a basis for your request to modify any agreements you have in place. Your attorney can help you prepare, so you have all the right documents to show why the modifications you’d like to see are vital to have approved.

Source: Dummies, “Making Changes to Your Divorce Agreement,” accessed May 24, 2018