We know the legal terrain

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. child custody
  4.  » What do you do if your child’s harmed with the other parent?

What do you do if your child’s harmed with the other parent?

by | Oct 12, 2018 | child custody

You always thought that your ex-spouse was a good parent, and you never expected to see your child get hurt by them. However, your relationship was toxic, and you knew you couldn’t stay married. Despite that, you’ve worked hard to make sure your child has their other parent in their life.

Lately, however, your child has been reluctant to see their other parent. When you finally get them to talk about it, you were told that the other parent hit your child. You noticed bruises, but you’d written them off as childhood clumsiness. Now, you’re livid and ready to do all you can to protect them.

What should you do if you fear for your child’s safety with the other parent?

In an emergency, it is possible to seek a protective order against the other parent and begin working with your Sarasota family law attorney to modify your custody arrangements. It’s possible that there has been a misunderstanding, so it is good to question the other parent about your child’s statement and behavior. However, safety comes first, and if you’re scared of what might happen if you bring up your concerns, you should speak with your attorney first.

The courts always want to do what is best for a child, so if there is evidence of child abuse and a reason to remove the other parent from the child’s life or to restrict custody, the judge will order it. Keep all evidence you can and make sure you follow the law to the letter while you go through this process.